With just four months away until go time, we asked our friend and marathon expert Elena Moffa from Running on E to share her go to tips for beginners getting ready to embark on their journey towards 26.2 this fall in the TCS NYC marathon.
Elena is a certified personal trainer, physical education teacher & marathon manic with a pretty impressive PR board - 26.2 miles in 3:25!!
Check out her Running on E or follow her on insta @running.on_e for more tips and more info on how you can train with her!!
Here are our go-to tips that will make them feel less bloated this weekend to make you feel red, white & blue-tiful this weekend.
1. Hot Water & Lemon- A simple combo to kick start the cleansing process in your body. Lemons are known to boost metabolism, assists with digestion and aid with flushing out toxins. We have been using for over a decade, it always makes you feel a little lighter and normally stops snacking right in its tracks. Start your morning off with hot water and lemon, to wake up your body, add some zest to your H2o throughout the day!
2. Dandelion- An herbal medicine associated with aiding in water retention & inflammation. You can boil the greens & eat them (Greeks call it Horta), drink dandelion tea- like Detox Tea from Yogi, or for the "Juicer's” out there you can find them in your drink. Rawpothecary’s Dandi Detox is one of our favorites, it is a little bit more filling due to the fiber rich blend or Blue Print’s Dandelion Drive which has a light, cr...
ALERT: New summer staple on the look out! Lettuce wraps.
Lettuce wraps are a great alternative for traditional wraps (or any other starchy food) that make us feel bloated- not desirable ,especially with summer in full swing. We love to cut out “empty” calories when we can. This is a light, but, filling food swap to include into your diet.
At your next BBQ, rather than feeling deprived of the "good stuff", use heads of lettuce to hold together super foods in a wrap, or , replace a burger bun. A morning omelette can even become a breakfast burrito, with a nice lettuce leaf!
Get started & creative with Soul Food KN’s Mai Thai Lettuce Wraps from our last cooking class for some inspo. Hashtag #soulfoodsummer to show us your healthy creations. We look forward to seeing what you put those lettuce wraps to good use!
Last week marked the last of our cooking classes for the season. We are so grateful to have had the opportunity to bring together friends (old & new) to bond over Soul Food KN original recipes.
Special thanks to Old St. Patrick's Basilica for allowing us to host our cooking classes in their beautiful courtyard. To everyone who came out, you are awesome. It has been so fun hanging with youthese last few Wednesdays.
In case you missed it or if you want to recreate the magic we will be releasing our recipes throughout the month. Check below for Soul Food KN's chic pea choco-chic (Low Cal) cookies.
Soul Food KN’ signature superfood salad recipes are here!
These recipes give your body and mind the extra boost you need to feel full, satisfied and ENERGIZED. Perfect to take on MDW and the start off the summer season!
Up Beet Salad
Beets are naturally sweet, so you don’t need any dressing, a natural calorie savor! Plus beets contain vital source of nutrients to fight cancer, boost stamina and aide with detoxification (thanks vitamin b6!) Got its’ name from the health benefits of parsley, known to be the ultimate detox green for purifying.
What more do you need to lift your mood?
- 4 beets
- 1/2 cup of red onions (sliced)
- parsley (to your liking)
- 1/2 lemon (juice for dressing)
Avocado infamous for healthy fats and responsible for great for skin, hair and nails gives you the ultimate confidence boost.While Cilantro, used in this salad, is known for reducing anxiety and detoxifying the body
The combination of cilantro, cucumbers and tomatoes is a sure wa...
The earth is what we all have in common. In order to protect our bond with Mother Nature and all she has to offer, we need to continue to take care of our home.
Here are four ways to re-connect while keeping our planet up to par.
After all, green is the new black!
1. GET OUTSIDE!- Nothing like getting the daily dose of vitamin D to brighten your day. Sunlight sparks the body to increase both levels of Vitamin D and serotonin, which immediately boosts your mood and even prevents weight gain!
2. BUY LOCAL- We frequent our local farmer's market whenever possible.
It is nice to feel a part of the community and comforting to know your veggies weren't stuck travelling long distances to get to your plate. Plus you support the local farmers who work hard to grow produce that protects our earth!
In our neighborhood we have the TriBeCa Farmers Market on Wednesdays (March-Dec) and Saturdays ye...